SEAHAWK WOMEN'S LACROSSE RESULTS
Gordon 13, Salve Regina 12
Middletown, R.I. – Gaudet Field
Saturday, April 29, 2017
Senior attack Anna Rourke (Hamilton, Mass.) scored 57 seconds into overtime to give the Gordon College women's lacrosse team a dramatic 13-12 victory over Salve Regina University in the Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) semifinals.
Series and Streaks
This was the 22nd meeting between the teams all-time. The Scots now own a 20-2 record over the Seahawks.
Three Stars of the Game
- Gordon sophomore Olivia McCarrick (Glen Burnie, Md.) -scored six times and dished out two assists including one on the game-winning score.
- Salve Regina freshman Maddie Villareal (Portsmouth, R.I.) - scored four times and handed out one assist.
- Gordon senior Anna Rourke - scored twice, and had two assists. Her goal with 2:07 left in overtime advanced the Scots to the semifinals.
The Scots had the only possession of overtime and did not want to give Salve Regina a chance in the extra frame. Brenna Peterson (Lebanon, N.H.) won the draw to begin overtime, then 57 seconds later Olivia McCarrick found Rourke free in front and she buried the game-winner for the Scots.
Key Stat of the Game
The Scots won more than twice as many draws as the Seahawks, 19-8, 8-2 in the second half, helping the Scots chew up time as the Seahawks looked to battle back in the game.
- The Seahawks jumped out to a 3-0 lead 6:17 into the game on two goals from Villareal and a score from senior captain Courtney Moulton (Merrimack, N.H.).
- The Scots outscored the Seahawks 9-3 the remained of the half to lead 9-6 at halftime.
- In the second half the Seahawks scored the first three goals of the frame to knot the game at 9-9 when Katie Kline (Brookfield, Conn.) scored with 21:50 remaining.
- Every time the Seahawks tied the game however the Scots answered to retake the lead, constantly leaving the Seahawks with an uphill battle. The teams continued to alternate scores as the Seahawks tied it four separate times without taking the lead.
- With under two minutes left in the half, and the scored tied 12-12, the Scots had possession and wanted to hold for a final shot to win the game in regulation. Off a free position attempted with 30 seconds left Amanda Lachat (South Hadley, Mass.) forced a turnover from McCarrick. With no timeouts the Seahawks tried to race up the field quickly. A shot from Villareal in a crowd of players tumbled past the left post and rolled out of bounds with one second left. The Seahawks retained possession and Kaitlin Gillespie (Haddam, Conn.) lobbed the ball to the front of the net, hoping for a tip in from Katie Kline, but the ball was batted into the ground at the buzzer.
Salve Regina (9-7) - eliminated from the CCC Tournament
Gordon (9-8) - advances to face Endicott College in the semifinals on Wednesday, May 3, time TBA