SEAHAWK WOMEN'S ICE HOCKEY RESULTS
Salve Regina 3, Johnson & Wales 2
St. George's - Middletown, R.I.
Saturday, January 11, 2020
MIDDLETOWN, R.I. - The Salve Regina University women's ice hockey team scored twice on the power play, including a third period tally from Maddie Cox (Barrington, R.I.) that proved to be the difference in a 3-2 victory over visiting Johnson & Wales University in non-conference action Saturday evening.
Series and Streaks
The Seahawks lead the all-time series 5-2-0.
Three Stars of the Game
- Salve Regina freshman Maddie Cox scored her first goal of the season 13:25 into the third period on the powerplay which proved to be the game-winning goal.
- Salve Regina senior Amanda Fantasia (Billerica, Mass.) scored her team leading fifth goal of the season to open the scoring in the first period.
- Johnson & Wales freshman Isabelle Day (Brentwood, N.H.) made a career-high 49 saves to fall to 0-2 in net for the Wildcats.
Maddie Cox helped the Seahawks extend their 2-1 lead in the third period when she netted her first career goal during a 5-on-3 power play for the Seahawks. The insurance goal proved necessary as the Wildcats answered less than two minutes later to draw back within a goal as Cassidy Simanski (Cumberland, R.I.) scored her third power play goal of the season. The Wildcats would continue to battle and were forced to pull the goalie in the final minute, but could not find the equalizer. Koryn Russell (Plainfield, Ill.) had a last second chance for the Wildcats with 1.4 seconds remaining, instead of trying to win a faceoff she instead tried to shoot the puck off the draw and did fire it perfectly on net, but Madison Jalbert (Beverly, Mass.) was there to make the save for Salve Regina, preserving the one-goal victory.
- Jalbert made 33 saves and improves to 4-10 on the season for Salve Regina.
- The Seahawks other goal came courtesy of Lexie Anderson (San Francisco, Calif.) on the power play in the second period. All of Anderson's goals this season have been on the power play, and this one broke a 1-1 tie at 13:48 of the third.
- Both teams went 2-for-6 on the power play.
- Salve Regina outshot the Wildcats 52-35.
Salve Regina (4-10-0; 1-5-0 CHC) will travel to face Nichols on Friday, January 17, at 6:40 p.m. Johnson & Wales (6-6-2) returns home to host Sacred Heart on Wednesday.