SEAHAWK WOMEN'S ICE HOCKEY RESULTS
Wesleyan 3, Salve Regina 0
St. George's - Middletown, R.I.
Tuesday, November 20, 2018
MIDDLETOWN, R.I. - Junior netminder Allegra Grant (Winnetka, Ill.) stopped at 17 shots she faced and the Wesleyan University women's ice hockey team earned a 3-0 shutout victory over Salve Regina University to open its season.
Series and Streaks
The Seahawks hold a 7-6 advantage all-time however the Cardinals have now won three in a row in the series.
Three Stars of the Game
- Wesleyan sophomore Sydnee Goyer (Bremen, Ala.) scored the game-winning goal on the powerplay in the first period and assisted on the game's final goal.
- Wesleyan junior Allegra Grant made 17 saves to earn her fifth career shutout.
- Wesleyan freshman Ally Detre (Morristown, N.J.) scored her first collegiate goal in the third period to make it 2-0 and give the Cardinals some breathing room.
Key Stat of the Game
The Cardinals outshot the Seahawks 31-17 and held the Seahawks to just three shots on goal in the third period.
Trailing 1-0 most of the game the Seahawks were still within striking distance in the third period until Ally Detre scored at 9:34 to make it a 2-0 advantage for the visitors. Detre received a rinkwide pass from Allie Damren (Westwood, Mass.) and skated free down the left-wing side, snapping a wrister to the back of the net for a 2-0 lead.
- Jennifer O'Connell (Marstons Mils, Mass.) made 28 saves to fall to 1-4-1 between the pipes for the Seahawks.
- Sarah Goss (Wellesley, Mass.) scored at 13:58 to round of the Cardinals scoring.
- The Cardinals converted their first powerplay into a 1-0 lead and finished the game 1-for-3 on the man advantage while the Seahawks went 0-for-3.
Salve Regina (1-7-1) travels to Connecticut College on Tuesday, November 27 at 7 p.m. Wesleyan (1-0-0) travels to UMASS-Boston on Saturday and Sunday for the Codfish Bowl Tournament, with the hosts as their first opponent at 1 p.m. on Saturday.