NEWPORT, R.I. - Salve Regina University senior Aaron Isch (Tolland, Conn.) earned a win over his former high school teammate, Kevin Erickson (Tolland, Conn.), in a painful way. The Hawk senior suffered an ankle injury in the fourth game while leading 2-1 in the first set, giving Isch the win and the only point for the Seahawks in an 8-1 defeat to Roger Williams University in Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) men's tennis action.
Erickson had earlier lifted Roger Williams to a 3-0 lead after doubles play when he paired with senior Jason Pacino (North Reading, Mass.) for an 8-4 victory at No. 1 doubles over Isch and junior Colin Gunning (Norwell, Mass.). Roger Williams took Nos. 2 and 3 doubles by identical 8-1 scores with Jonah Schwartz (Orange, Conn.)/Ryan Swanson (West Newbury, Mass.) and Zack Bussiere (Colchester, Conn.)/Eric Laboissonniere (Cumberland, R.I.), respectively.
Bussiere and Laboissonniere both earned wins in singles while dropping just four games total. Swanson added a victory at No. 5 singles.
Also in the singles lineup for Roger Williams (3-5; 1-0 CCC) were Taylor Webster (Bristol, Conn.), winning at No. 4, and Kyle Bull (Pleasantville, N.Y.), picking up a straight-set win at No. 6. Salve Regina (0-6; 0-1 CCC) next plays on Wednesday when it hosts Gordon College in a conference match.
Tennis Match Results
Roger Williams vs Salve Regina
03/23/13 at Newport, R.I.
(Leroy Avenue Tennis Courts)
Roger Williams 8, Salve Regina 1
1. Aaron Isch (SRU) def. Kevin Erikson (RWU) 1-2, retired
2. Zack Bussiere (RWU) def. Colin Gunning (SRU) 6-1, 6-1
3. Eric Laboissonniere (RWU) def. Kenneth McCormack (SRU) 6-0, 6-2
4. Taylor Webster (RWU) def. Khoa Nguyen (SRU) 6-1, 6-3
5. Ryan Swanson (RWU) def. Monaf Awwa (SRU) 6-3, 6-1
6. Kyle Bull (RWU) def. Brian Sweeney (SRU) 6-1, 6-3
1. Kevin Erikson/Jason Pacino (RWU) def. Colin Gunning/Aaron Isch (SRU) 8-4
2. Jonah Schwartz/Ryan Swanson (RWU) def. Kenneth McCormack/Khoa Nguyen (SRU) 8-1
3. Zack Bussiere/Eric Laboissonniere (RWU) def. Monaf Awwa/Brian Sweeney (SRU) 8-1
Roger Williams 3-4;1-0 CCC
Salve Regina 0-6; 0-1 CCC
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (1,3,2,5,4,6)
Official: Jasionowski/Raissi T-2:49 A-33