SEAHAWK MEN'S SOCCER RESULTS
Salve Regina 5, Lasell 0
Toppa Field - Newport, R.I.
Thursday, October 10, 2019
NEWPORT, R.I. - Senior forward Dana Sundell (Nantucket, Mass.) scored a goal in each half, his third and fourth of the season, to lead Salve Regina University men's soccer to a 5-0 victory over visiting Lasell University in non-league action at Toppa Field in Newport. His classmate Evan MacDonald (Candia, N.H.) added a goal and an assist (both sixth on the season). Goalkeeper Nathan Reid (Magnolia, Del.) had more assists than saves (1-0) while improving his record to 3-2 on the year.
Series and Streaks
Salve Regina leads the all-time series 2-0-1, and has won the last two meetings.
Three Stars of the Game
- Salve Regina senior Dana Sundell (Nantucket, Mass.) scored the first goal of each half as the Seahawks led 3-0 in the 53rd minute.
- Salve Regina senior Evan MacDonald (Candia, N.H.) scored his team-leading sixth goal in the 31st minute, and then took a long boot from Nathan Reid (Magnolia, Del.) to assist Sam Winiarski (Westfield, Mass.) for the game's final goal.
- Salve Regina freshman Sam Winiarski (Westfield, Mass.) scored his third of the season by finishing off the long connection from Reid and MacDonald.
Sundell's first-half goal came in the 23rd minute with a cross from senior Noah Medeiros (Dartmouth, Mass.).
Key Stat of the Game
Salve Regina outshot Lasell, 27-3, and had 15 shots on goal to none for the visitors. The Seahawks scored on a third of their shots on the goal.
- Nathan Reid (Magnolia, Del.) made his fifth start of the season and assisted on the game's final goal.
- Jackson Burhans (Berlin, N.Y.) made his first start of the season and collected 10 saves in the loss.
- Four different Seahawks scored, including Owen Kraft (Tenafly, N.J.) who converted a penalty kick late in the second.
- The Seahawks turned in their fifth shutout of the season.
Salve Regina (6-3-3) returns to Toppa Field on Saturday and Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) action when it hosts University of New England at 3 p.m.; Senior Day for Kraft, MacDonald, Medeiros, and Sundell. The Lasers (1-13-0) have GNAC action when they host the Saints of Emmanuel College on Saturday at 1 p.m.