SEAHAWK FIELD HOCKEY RESULTS
Salve Regina 8, Mount Ida 1
Middletown, R.I. – Gaudet Field
Saturday, September 3, 2016
The Salve Regina University field hockey team improved to 2-0 with an 8-1 victory over visiting Mount Ida College.
Series and Streaks
The Seahawks have won both meetings with Mount Ida to lead 2-0 in the all-time series.
Three Stars of the Game
1 – Salve Regina junior Amber Cody (Pawling, N.Y.) had three goals and an assist to her sister Ashley Cody (Pawling, N.Y.).
2 – Salve Regina senior Sarah Thompson (Clinton, Conn.) scored a goal on a penalty stroke and a was disruptive force on defense all over the field.
3 – Salve Regina sophomore Allison Daly (Peabody, Mass.) made nine saves on ten shots on goal in relief of starter Jessie Severino (Branford, Conn.).
Key Stat of the Game
The Seahawks outshot the Mustangs 25-10.
The Seahawks held a 2-0 lead early in the first half and the Mustangs had a few chances to slice the lead in half after a corner opportunity. The Seahawks got the stop then turned defense into offense. Amber Cody sprinted down the right sideline around a defender and charged the cage. Her first shot was saved, but she collected the rebound and rifled it in the air to the top corner of the cage to extend the Salve Regina lead to 3-0.
- The Seahawks have outscored the Mustangs 21-1 in the all-time series.
- Six different players scored for Salve Regina.
- The Mustangs broke up the shutout in the second half when Emily Salls (Springvale, Maine) tipped a ball in the air past Daly for their only score of the afternoon.
- The Seahawks held a 12-9 advantage in penalty corners.
- The Seahawks used three different goalies in the game. Severino got the start and was replaced by Daly in the second half. Daly played close to 20 minutes, making nine saves and allowing one goal before giving way to the freshman Molly Lafferty (Flemington, N.J.) for the remainder of the game.
- The Mustangs utilized two goalies. Grace Ryan (Livermore Falls, Maine) got the start in the cage and made four saves before being replaced by Jessica Henry (Wilbraham, Mass.) who made four saves as well. Both goalies had four goals against.
Salve Regina (2-0) – Thursday, September 8, 2016 at Worcester St., 7 p.m.
Mount Ida (0-2) – Tuesday, September 6, 2016 at Becker, 4 p.m.