SEAHAWK BASEBALL RESULTS
#25 Rowan 10, #24 Salve Regina 8
Henley Field - Lakeland, Fla.
Friday, March 9, 2018
LAKELAND, Fla. - Junior captain Zack Smith (New Canaan, Conn.) went 3-for-3 with a homerun and four runs scored, but the Seahawks fell two runs shy as No. 25 Rowan University defeated No. 24 Salve Regina University, 10-8, at Henley Field on Friday afternoon. Senior Alex Perry (No. Attleboro, Mass.) blasted a two-run homer in the fifth inning that gave Salve Regina its second and last lead of the game, 3-2. The Profs scored five times in the top of the sixth to take control, before holding on for the 10-8 final. Perry tripled in two in the Seahawks' last at-bat and scored the final run on a balk.
Series and Streaks
These two teams met for the second time in Florida in less than 365 days, but the first time with both nationally-ranked in the D3Baseball.com Top 25 weekly poll. In the previous week both were receiving votes; as of this meeting Rowan is No. 25 and Salve Regina is No. 24 in the posting last Tuesday. Rowan has won both meetings, 6-2 and 10-8.
Three Seahawk Stars of the Game
- Salve Regina junior Zack Smith (New Canaan, Conn.) reached base in all five plate appearances with three hits, including a homerun, and two walks. He crossed the plate four times to account for half of the Seahawks' eight runs.
- Salve Regina senior Alex Perry (No. Attleboro, Mass.) had seven total bases with a homerun and a triple in three at-bats. He drove in four runs and scored three.
- Salve Regina freshman Michael DeFusco (East Greenwich, R.I.) picked up his first collegiate basehit courtesy of a ground ball hitting teammate Tristan Dacey (Wyckoff, N.J.) on the base paths. Following that DeFusco delivered two more singles including a two-out, two-run basehit in the seventh inning.
Key Stats of the Game
Seahawk pitchers issued nine bases on balls and hit a pair of Profs. Rowan scored in each of the final five frames.
In the top of the sixth, Rowan trailed 3-2 before bringing nine Profs to the plate and scoring five runs. Seahawk reliever Michael Mathews (West Hartford, Conn.) retired the first batter on a foul fly to Zack Smith in right before issuing a walk and a single. Senior Jonathan Lynch (Cumberland, R.I.) succeeded Mathews and allowed three singles and a walk before getting the final two outs of the frame. Two runs scored on wild pitches, freshman Justin Provost had a run-scoring basehit up the middle, and Anthony Harrold knocked in two runs with a single to right.
- Zack Smith also added a stolen base.
- Justin Provost had three RBI for the Profs - a bases-loaded sac fly (line drive) to right, a sixth-inning single up the middle, and a seventh-inning single to left center.
- Profs starter Drew Ryback worked five innings allowing three runs to earn the pitching victory (3-0).
- Reliever Jordan Friedman pitched to two batters in the ninth and induced a double-play grounder and bouncer to short to earn the save.
- Seahawks starter Jimmy Fitzgerald (Canton, Mass.) went four and two-thirds allowing five hits, five walks, and two earned runs while striking out five Profs.
No. 24 Salve Regina (1-1) plays Wartburg at 6 p.m. from Henley Field, after the Knights finish their game with the Corsairs of UMass Dartmouth on Sat., March 10. No. 25 Rowan has a night game against Ripon in Auburndale, Fla. (6:30 p.m. on Sat., March 10).