SEAHAWK WOMEN'S VOLLEYBALL RESULTS
Salve Regina 3, Western New England 0
Newport, R.I. - Rodgers Recreation Center
Wednesday, October 16, 2019
NEWPORT, R.I. - Despite trailing in every set, the Salve Regina University women's volleyball team was able to sweep visiting Western New England 3-0 (25-22, 25-23, 25-19) in Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) action Wednesday night.
Series and Streaks
The Golden Bears lead the series 8-9 all-time, however the Seahawks have won four in a row.
Three Stars of the Match
- Salve Regina sophomore Nicole Karabaich (Greenlawn, N.Y.) led all players with 13 kills and chipped in eight digs.
- Salve Regina senior Annie Donahue (Chelmsford, Mass.) had 12 kills hitting at an efficient .360 clip while adding three solo blocks.
- Western New England senior Ashley Matthews (Salem, N.H.) posted a double-double with 11 kills and tied for the team-high with 18 digs.
A 5-0 run put the Golden Bears up 21-17 late in the first set. A service error gave the Seahawks back a point then Madison Lee (Dover, Fla.) stepped to the line for six straight points for the Seahawks. Lee's streak at the stripe ended with a service error that kept the Golden Bears alive, but Karabaich finished off the comeback with a kill on the next point to complete an 8-1 run and give the Seahawks the first set. The Seahawks would trail at different points of the next two sets, but never faced set-point from the Golden Bears and edged out two more wins to sweep the match.
- Katie Linekin (Ridgefield, Conn.) had a match-high 20 digs.
- Katelyn O'Brien (Bridgeport, Pa.) led the Seahawks with 23 assists while fellow junior Meredith Arancio (Oradell, N.J.) chipped in 13 assists and 12 digs for the Seahawks only double-double of the night.
- Caitlyn Sibiskie (Rockfall, Conn.) paced the Golden Bears attack with 28 assists and matched the team-high with 18 digs.
Salve Regina (9-12, 3-2 CCC) hits the road again to play Roger Williams on October 22 at 7 p.m. Western New England (11-11, 2-2 CCC) returns home to host a tri-match with Colby-Sawyer and Westfield State this Saturday, October 19.