SEAHAWK WOMEN'S VOLLEYBALL RESULTS
WPI 3, Salve Regina 2
Newport, R.I. - Rodgers Recreation Center
Thursday, September 26, 2019
NEWPORT, R.I. - The visiting Worcester Polytechnic Institute women's volleyball team rallied for a 3-2 (23-25, 25-16, 26-28, 25-13, 15-13) comeback victory over Salve Regina University Thursday evening in non-conference action.
Series and Streaks
The Engineers remain undefeated in the series with a 6-0 mark all-time. It is just the second time the Seahawks and Engineers have gone five sets.
Three Stars of the Match
- WPI junior Amanda Wetmore (Hudson, N.H.) had a match-high 21 kills and struck for a match-high .436 percentage. She also chipped in two digs, an ace and two and a half blocks.
- WPI junior Sarah Kwatinetz (Seattle, Wash.) notched 14 kills on a .400 swing percentage and had a match-high five solo blocks.
- Salve Regina senior Annie Donahue (Chelmsford, Mass.) paced the Seahawks attack with 13 kills, hitting at a .300 percent clip.
The teams alternated set wins, with the Seahawks taking the first and third sets, before the Engineers used a 12-3 run to close out the fourth and force a deciding fifth set. Salve Regina raced out to a 7-1 lead in the fifth, but the Engineers mounted a 14-6 run, including a 4-0 run at the close to steal the fifth set and secure the comeback win.
- Katie Linekin (Ridgefield, Conn.) and Nicole Karabaich (Greenlawn, N.Y.) each had a match-high 20 digs for the Seahawks while Suela Miloshi (Needham, Mass.) and Catherine Reynolds (Concord, N.H.) each had 19 digs for the Engineers.
- Reynolds also posted a match-high 43 assists for a double-double.
- Olivia Noonan (Rochester, N.H.) led the Seahawks offense with 39 assists. She also added a match-high four service aces.
Salve Regina (5-9) hits the road again for their second Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) match versus Curry on Saturday, September 28. WPI (7-5) hosts Wellesley on Saturday at 1 p.m.