SEAHAWK WOMEN'S SOCCER RESULTS
University of New England 5, Salve Regina 1
Toppa Field - Newport, Rhode Island
Saturday, October 12, 2019
NEWPORT, R.I. (October 12, 2019) -- Five different Nor'easters scored goals as visiting University of New England women's soccer (6-4-2, 1-2-0 CCC) defeated Salve Regina University (7-7-0, 2-2-0 CCC), 5-1, in Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) action at Toppa Field. The Seahawks celebrated Senior Day for five of their members in the Class of 2020 - Breanna Gustin (Stoneham, Mass.), Kayla McLaughlin (East Hampton, Conn.), Emily Szemreylo (Marlborough, Conn.), Katie Szemreylo (Marlborough, Conn.), and Jessica Watson (Holbrook, N.Y.).
Senior Katie Beaudoin (Coventry, R.I.) scored her team-leading eighth goal of the season in the 20th minute to give the Nor'easters a 1-0 lead. Junior Kat Buscemi (Grantsville, Md.) added to the lead with her first goal of the season in the 34th minute. Salve Regina junior Molly Breslin (Rockaway Beach, N.Y.) cut the deficit in half when she took a feed from Emily Szemreylo (Marlborough, Conn.) for her second goal of the season.
The Nor'easters got a surprise goal from Caroline Wilson (Tiverton, R.I.) in the 42nd minute and then added two more unanswered goals in the second half, first from Erica Dimmick (Sutton, Mass.) and finally from Jessie Maywalt (Wall, N.J.).
Series and Streaks
The Nor'easters improve to 18-6-1 in the all-time series, and have been unbeaten in the last 14 meetings (13-0-1). Since a 2-2 draw in 2017 on their last visit to Newport, the Nor'easters have won the last three meetings (including last year in the postseason) by a combined 11-1 score.
Three Stars of the Game
- UNE senior Katie Beaudoin (Coventry, R.I.) scored the game's first goal, her eighth of the season.
- SRU junior Molly Breslin (Rockaway Beach, N.Y.) scored her second goal of the season after tracking down a feed down center from Emily Szemreylo and tipping it past Nor'easter goalkeeper Jenna Pannone (Prospect, Conn.).
- UNE senior Ashley Sherman (Ivoryton, Conn.) assisted on both second-half scores for the Nor'easters.
Leading by one late in the first half, Caroline Wilson snuck one by Salve Regina goalkeeper Jenna Park (Barrington, R.I.) for a two-goal advantage at the break.
Key Stat of the Game
The Nor'easters dominated in shot attempts, 12-4 in the first half and 7-4 in the second for a 19-8 overall edge.
- Beaudoin ties Salve Regina freshman Megan McLaughlin (East Hampton, Conn.) for third place in the league with eight goals scored apiece.
- Beaudoin and McLaughlin are also equals in points (20) which ranks third in the league.
- Jenna Park ups her save total to 105 on the season with six in today's game, good for second in the CCC.
- Park and Pannone are second and third, respectively, in the league in save percentage (.840 and .827).
- Pannone has the fewest goals against (13) among conference goalkeepers.
Salve Regina (7-7-0, 2-2-0) travels to Western New England University on Tuesday before hosting Becker College in a non-league meeting at Reynolds Field on Thursday. University of New England (6-4-2, 1-2-0 CCC) looks to run its streak to three straight wins when it hosts Curry College on Tuesday.