SEAHAWK WOMEN'S SOCCER RESULTS
Salve Regina 2, Southern Maine 1
Reynolds Field - Newport, R.I.
Saturday, September 14, 2019
NEWPORT, R.I. - After falling behind 1-0, sophomore midfielder Amanda Bentz (Mt. Wolf, Pa.) scored the game-winner for the Salve Regina University women's soccer team in a 2-1 triumph over visiting University of Southern Maine in non-conference action Saturday afternoon.
Series and Streaks
This was the first ever meeting between the two teams. The Seahawks now lead 1-0 all-time.
Three Stars of the Game
- Salve Regina sophomore Amanda Bentz notched her second goal of the season when she fired a shot off the hands of the Huskies keeper, off the pipe, and into the goal to give the Seahawks the lead.
- Salve Regina freshman Meagan McLaughlin (East Hampton, Conn.) headed a shot off the crossbar and in for her team-leading third score of the season in the 66th minute.
- Salve Regina freshman Jenna Park (Barrington, R.I.) made 12 saves to improve to 3-2 in net.
Salve Regina trailed for most of the game after Adela Kalilwa (Lewiston, Maine) scored in the sixth minute for the Huskies. In the 66th Meagan McLaughlin delivered a header that hit the crossbar and went in to tie the game 1-1. Then off a throw-in, Bentz turned away from two Huskies and let a left-footed shot fly to the net. It deflected off the hands of the Southern Maine keeper, but hit the post and angled into the net to give Salve Regina the lead.
Key Stat of the Game
Salve Regina held a slight edge in shots on goal 17-13.
- Kayla Gorman (Windham, Maine) made 15 saves for the Huskies, but falls to 3-2-0 in net.
- All five of Meagan McLaughlin's shots were on goal.
Salve Regina (3-2) travels to face Bridgewater on September 18 at 4:30 p.m., in another non-conference matchup. Southern Maine (3-2) will return home to host Husson on September 17.