SEAHAWK WOMEN'S SOCCER RESULTS
Coast Guard 1, Salve Regina 0
Toppa Field - Newport, R.I.
Thursday, September 12, 2019
NEWPORT, R.I. (September 12, 2019) -- Senior Lydia VanWinkle (West Linn, Ore.) scored her first goal of the season in the 56th minute and it held up as the only tally in a 1-0 win for United States Coast Guard Academy over Salve Regina University in non-league women's soccer action at Toppa Field. After a failed clear by the Seahawks, Sabrina Robertson (Jacksonville, Fla.) took a loose ball and made one touch to VanWinkle who drove her shot into the upper right corner. The Bears (1-4-0) win for the first time in 2019 while Salve Regina (2-2-0) falls for the second straight game.
Series and Streaks
Coast Guard improves to 9-3-1 in the all-time series and have won the last two meetings in Newport with 1-0 finals.
Three Stars of the Game
- Coast Guard senior Lydia VanWinkle (West Linn, Ore.) scored her first goal of 2019 and led all players with five shots, two on frame.
- Salve Regina freshman Jenna Park (Barrington, R.I.) stopped seven shots.
- Coast Guard freshman Sarah Schollenberger (Woodbury, N.J.) also stopped seven shots for her first career shutout and victory.
After a scoreless first half, Lydia VanWinkle blasted a shot off a one-touch feed from Sabrina Robertston.
Key Stat of the Game
Bears created seven corner kick opportunities to the Seahawks' one.
- Salve Regina's first three shots were on frame, and the Seahawks finished with half (seven of 13) of their shots on goal.
- The Bears outshot the Seahawks, 21-13.
- Salve Regina was whistled for seven fouls, just five for Coast Guard
- Salve Regina slips to .500 overall and at home (2-2, 1-1).
Salve Regina (2-2) hosts Southern Maine on Saturday at 3 p.m., in another non-conference matchup. Coast Guard stays local to face next-door neighbor Connecticut College on Tuesday, September 17, in New London, Conn.