SEAHAWK WOMEN'S LACROSSE RESULTS
Curry 20, Salve Regina 17
Middletown, Rhode Island - Gaudet Field
Tuesday, April 2, 2019
MIDDLETOWN, R.I. - Andria Torres (Milford, Conn.) scored a game-high six goals for Curry College as it defeated the Salve Regina University women's lacrosse team 20-17 in a thriller at Gaudet Field Tuesday evening in Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) action.
Series and Streaks
The Colonels own a 14-8 record in the all-time series.
Three Stars of the Game
- Curry freshman Andria Torres scored six times to lead all scorers.
- Salve Regina junior Maddie Villareal (Portsmouth, R.I.) scored three times and dished out three assists.
- Curry junior Abby Dubel (Wolfeboro, N.H.) scored twice and won a game-high 12 draw controls.
Key Stat of the Game
The Seahawks turned the ball over 10 times in the second half, six times in the final eight minutes of the game after tying the score 16-16.
Curry took a 5-1 lead in the game, only to fall behind 8-7, but a 7-1 run gave the visitors a 14-9 lead at halftime. Goals from Torres and Leona Stevens (Kingston, Mass.) made it 16-9 with 22:48 remaining in the game. The Seahawks then ripped off seven straight goals. Lindsey Smith's (North Attleboro, Mass.) hat-trick goal with 8:08 remaining capped the run to tie the score at 16-16, but Abby Dubel answered quickly to take the lead back for Curry. Torres' fifth came with 4:51 remaining then Kaity Doherty (Portsmouth, R.I.) retaliated to make it a one goal game with 4:30 to play. The Seahawks however would not get another shot the rest of the game, turning the ball over twice in the final minutes, as the Colonels scored two more times to seal the win and hand the Seahawks their first home loss of the season.
- Christina Myers (River Edge, N.J.) made nine saves in the loss to fall to 4-3 between the pipes for Salve Regina.
- Jessica Ginaitt (Warwick, R.I.) made 11 saves for the Colonels to improve her record to 6-5.
- The teams were nearly even in shots with the Seahawks holding a narrow 40-39 edge.
- Salve Regina went 4-for-7 in free position shots while the Colonels went 3-for-8.
- Eight different players scored for the Colonels, with Torres, Allie Wysocki (Agawam, Mass.), and Leona Stevens all netting hat-tricks.
- Seven players scored for the Seahawks led by Kaity Doherty who potted four, followed by hat-tricks from Villareal, Lindsey Smith, and Kiley Anderson (East Greenwhich, R.I.). Nicole Smith (North Attleboro, Mass.) scored twice, while Oliva Slysz (South Hadley, Mass.) and Stefanie Salisbury (Cranston, R.I.) each scored once.
- Both teams won 19 draw controls, 12 belonging to Dubel for the Colonels while Nicole Smith grabbed nine to lead Salve Regina.
Salve Regina (4-3, 1-2 CCC) will play the third of four straight home games when it hosts Nichols on April 6 at 1 p.m., for Senior Day. Curry (6-5, 2-2 CCC) hosts Rhode Island College on Thursday, April 4, at 4 p.m.