SEAHAWK WOMEN'S ICE HOCKEY RESULTS
Salve Regina 3, Salem State 3
St. George's - Middletown, R.I.
Saturday, January 12, 2019
MIDDLETOWN, R.I. - Salve Regina University junior forward Mikayla Anderson (University Place, Wash.) scored an empty net goal to force overtime in an eventual 3-3 tie for the women's ice hockey versus Salem State in a non-conference meeting Saturday night.
Series and Streaks
The Vikings lead 1-0-1 in the series.
Three Stars of the Game
- Salve Regina junior Mikayla Anderson scored her second goal of the year on scramble in front with the extra skater out with 1:17 remaining in the third period.
- Salem State junior Sarah Plourde (Hooksett, N.H.) made 40 saves in the tie.
- Salve Regina senior Jennifer O'Connell (Marstons Mills, Mass.) made 33 saves.
The Seahawks trailed 2-0 in the game through one period, but roared back in the second to knot the score 2-2. In the third Kylie Currier (Middltown, Mass.) scored at 6:21 to put the Vikings back on top. Salve Regina had numerous chances throughout the game on the powerplay, but could not capitalize. With time winding down the Seahawks called for a timeout with 1:52 remaining in the third and an offense zone draw forthcoming. The Seahawks won possession of the puck and created enough traffic in front for Mikayla Anderson to eventually poke home a loose puck to tie the game at 3-3 and force overtime. The Seahawks began the extra frame on a powerplay, but couldn't find the back of the net, ending the game 0-for-6 on the man advantage. The Vikings had a crack on special teams as well, but both goaltenders stood strong and the hard fought game ended in a 3-3 tie.
- The Seahawks were held to 0-for-6 on the powerplay while the Vikings went 1-for-4 with the man advantage.
- Salve Regina outshot Salem State 43-36 in the game.
Salve Regina (4-11-1) hosts Williams in another non-conference match this Tuesday, January 15, at 7 p.m. Salem State (6-8-2) hosts Norwich on Friday, January 18, at 7 p.m.