SEAHAWK WOMEN'S ICE HOCKEY RESULTS
William Smith 5, Salve Regina 2
St. George's Howard Rink - Middletown, R.I.
Saturday, October 27, 2018
MIDDLETOWN, R.I. - After falling behind early, visiting William Smith College scored five unanswered goals to take a 5-2 victory over the Salve Regina University women's ice hockey team in non-conference action Saturday afternoon.
Series and Streaks
The Herons own a 6-0 record in the all-time series.
Three Stars of the Game
- William Smith senior Stephanie Hampton (Quispamsis, New Brunswick) scored twice.
- William Smith senior Maura Mulligan (Troy, N.Y.) scored what proved to be the game-winning goal in the first period.
- Salve Regina senior Taylor Chisholm (Discovery Bay, Calif.) scored her first goal of the season 3:15 into the first period to give the Seahawks a 1-0 lead and handed out an assist.
Key Stat of the Game
The Herons outshot the Seahawks 30-17, holding the Seahawks to no more than six shots in any period.
Taylor Chisholm scored to give the Seahawks the lead in the first period, but it only lasted 2:06 when Gina Scibetta (Brewertown, N.Y.) scored ten seconds into a powerplay to knot the game 1-1. Later, Maura Mulligan stole the puck in neutral ice and streaked into the Seahawks zone, snapping a long distance shot to the back of the net to give the Herons the lead. It was the second of a five-goal run for the Herons who never trailed again in the game.
- Sophomore goaltender Olivia Williams (Toronto, Ontario) made 15 saves to improve to 2-0-0 between the pipes for the Herons.
- Gretchen Howard (Winthrop, Mass.) got the nod in net for the Seahawks and made 26 saves in the loss to fall to 0-1-0 between the pipes for Salve Regina.
- Rebecca Hasting (Boulder, Colo.), much like in the prior game, scored late in the third period, this time on a feed from Chisholm to end the Herons scoring run and make it a 5-2 score.
- The Herons had four different goal scorers.
- The Seahawks went 0-for-2 on the powerplay while the Herons went 1-for-2 with the advantage.
- Both teams blocked eight shots in the game.
- The Herons have outscored the Seahawks 30-5 in their five meetings all-time.
Salve Regina (0-2-0) will host SUNY Canton on Friday, November 2 at 7 p.m., for the first Colonial Hockey Conference (CHC) matchup of the season. William Smith (2-0-0) hosts Stevenson on November 9 at 7 p.m.