SEAHAWK MEN'S LACROSSE RESULTS
Salve Regina 13, Wentworth 12
Middletown, Rhode Island - Gaudet Field
Tuesday, April 16, 2019
MIDDLETOWN, R.I. - The Salve Regina University men's lacrosse team withstood a late comeback from visiting Wentworth Institute of Technology to hang on for a 13-12 victory in Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) action Tuesday night.
Series and Streaks
The Seahawks own a 13-10 record in the all-time series and have won seven of the last eight matchups with the Leopards.
Three Stars of the Game
- Salve Regina sophomore Pat Leary (Wakefield, Mass.) scored four times including what proved to be the deciding goal with 7:49 left in the fourth quarter.
- Salve Regina freshman Ryan Chambers (Wakefield, Mass.) made 13 saves versus 25 shots and improves to 2-0 in net this season for the Seahawks.
- Wentworth senior Jason Buck (Manlius, N.Y.) score four times to lead the Leopards.
Key Stat of the Game
The teams were even with 17 turnovers apiece however the Seahawks turned it over four times in the final eight minutes after they had cut the Bison lead to two goals.
After Joe Grimm (Williston Park, N.Y.) scored early in the third quarter to give the Seahawks their largest lead, 10-5, the Leopards began to chip away. Three straight goals in the fourth quarter drew the visitors within one with 3:32 left to play. In the final three minutes the Seahawks defense held the Leopards to just one shot on goal, which Chambers turned aside, and the Seahawks were able to bleed the remaining time of the clock to preserve the one goal victory.
- The Leopards held the edge in shots and faceoffs. Winning 15 draws and outshooting the Seahawks 46-44, however the Seahawks held a 28-25 edge in shots on goal.
- The Leopards went 4-for-6 with the man-up while Salve Regina did not convert its four tries on the man advantage.
- Brendan Kelly (Long Beach, N.Y.) netted a hat-trick while Niko Szelest (Bristol, R.I.) scored twice and assisted on a pair of goals to lead the Seahawks scoring.
- Along with Buck's four, Kyle Doner (Lindenhurst, N.Y.) found the back of the net three times, and Jacob Eldred (Goffstown, N.H.) scored two times to lead the Leopards offensively.
Salve Regina (6-5, 3-3 CCC) travels to Endicott on April 19 at 5 p.m. Wentworth (5-11, 2-5 CCC) hosts on April 24, at 7 p.m., to wrap up the regular season.