SEAHAWK MEN'S LACROSSE RESULTS
U. of New England 13, Salve Regina 11
Newport, Rhode Island - Lawrence Avenue Field
Saturday, April 14, 2018
NEWPORT, R.I. - Eight different players scored for the University of New England men's lacrosse team as it defeated Salve Regina University 13-11 in Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) action Saturday.
Series and Streaks
The Nor'easters have won five straight and lead the all-time series 12-10.
Three Stars of the Game
- Salve Regina senior Zach Makoske (Shoreham, N.Y.) scored three times and dished out a game-high four assists.
- UNE senior Tyler Nevers (Southbury, Conn.) made 17 saves in the victory to improve to 5-5 on the year.
- Salve Regina freshman Pat Leary (Wakefield, Mass.) scored twice and handed out three assists.
Key Stat of the Game
The Nor'easters were a perfect 3-for-3 with the man-up while the Seahawks went 2-for-6 with the advantage.
The Nor'easters scored four of the first six goals of the fourth quarter to take a four goal lead with 4:50 remaining. Andrew Fera (Cranston, R.I.) scored at 2:39 to get a goal back but the Seahawks could only muster one more shot on goal the rest of the game, a Brendan Kelly score with 44 seconds remaining. The Seahawks won the ensuing face-off and drew a penalty to go man-up, but time expired on the home team and the Nor'easters escaped with a hard fought 13-11 victory.
Salve Regina honored its nine seniors before the game with a special pregame ceremony including friends and family. Luc Copeland, Matt D'Amore, Andrew Fera, Matt Heeter, Doug Huber, Alex Makoske, Zach Makoske, Danny McDermott, and Mike Sheehan represent the Seahawks' Class of 2018.
- The Seahawks held a 52-44 advantage in shots.
- Salve Regina held a 15-13 advantage on faceoffs, all 15 wins belonging to Joe Sousa (Cranston, R.I.). Matt Layton (Medford, N.Y.) won 12 draws for the visitors.
- Matt D'Amore (Dubury, Mass.) made 16 saves in net for the Seahawks.
Salve Regina (9-4, 3-2 CCC) hosts Gordon on Wednesday, April 18, at 7 p.m.
UNE (7-6, 2-2 CCC) hosts Curry on Wednesday, April 18, at 4 p.m.