SEAHAWK MEN'S LACROSSE RESULTS
Salve Regina 13, Wheaton 8
Newport, Rhode Island - Toppa Field
Wednesday, February 28, 2018
The Salve Regina University men's lacrosse team scored the final eight goals of the game Wednesday evening to earn a 13-8 comeback victory over visiting Wheaton College in non-conference action.
Series and Streaks
The Lyons still own a 3-2 record all-time however the Seahawks have now won two in a row in the series.
Three Stars of the Game
- Salve Regina freshman Pat Leary (Wakefield, Mass.) scored six times and handed out an assist. He has scored four or more goals in his first three collegiate games.
- Salve Regina senior Matt D'Amore (Duxbury, Mass.) stopped 14 shots, and shutout the Lyons in the fourth quarter to improve to 2-1 in the net.
- Wheaton junior Alex Stomberg (Glastonbury, Conn.) scored three times in the first half.
Key Stat of the Game
The Seahawks only allowed one goal in the second half and outshot the Lyons 33-12 in the final 30 minutes of the game.
The Seahawks never led in the first half and trailed 8-5 early midway through the third quarter after Josh Talanian (Arlington, Mass.) scored for the Lyons. However it proved to be the final goal the Lyons would score in the game. Pat Leary scored man-down for the Seahawks with 5:59 left in the third and Matt Heeter (Wading River, N.Y.) snapped a long distance shot home late in the quarter to draw the Seahawks within one. The Seahawks then scored a flurry of goals midway through the fourth quarter to take the lead. Pat Leary scored three times and Zach Makoske (Shoreham, N.Y.) added his second goal of the night in a matter of 2:25 to take the Seahawks from down one to up three.
- Joey Mitchell (Falmouth, Mass.) got the start in net and made five saves, allowing five goals before being replaced my Chandler Miller (West Lin, Ore.) who stopped nine shots and took the loss, falling to 0-1 on the season.
- The Seahawks finished with a 53-34 shot advantage.
- Ground balls were almost even between the two teams with the Seahawks holding a slight 34-32 edge.
- Both teams struggled on the man-up. The Seahawks were able to finish 3-of-9 while the Lyons were held to 1-of-11 with the man-up while surrendering a goal to the Seahawks during that time.
Salve Regina (2-1) will host St. Joseph's (Long Island) on March 2 at 5 p.m.
Wheaton (0-2) hosts Johnson & Wales on March 3 at 1 p.m.