SEAHAWK MEN'S BASKETBALL RESULTS
Gordon 79, Salve Regina 70
Rodgers Rec. Ctr. - Newport, R.I.
Wednesday, January 16, 2019
NEWPORT, R.I. - Salve Regina University freshman Mikey Spencer (Abington, Mass.) led all players with 25 points, but Gordon College had four players score in double figures to survive, 79-70, in a Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) battle at the Rodgers Recreation Center. Noah Szilagyi (Highlands Ranch, Colo.) led the Scots (16-1, 8-0 CCC) with 20 points while Jake Haar (Huntington Beach, Calif.) netted 16 and Gordon got 13 points apiece from Garrisson Duvivier (Brockton, Mass.) and Eric Demers (Acushnet, Mass.).
The Commonwealth Coast Conference teamed up with Hope Happens Here to sponsor a league-wide awareness night to combat the stigma that surrounds mental health.
Series and Streaks
The Scots lead the all-time series, 35-19, and have won nine straight against Salve Regina including three times last season. The Scots have won 15 consecutive games this season.
Three Stars of the Game
- Salve Regina freshman Mikey Spencer (Abington, Mass.) led all players with 25 points, his third-straight game with 20 or more points.
- Gordon senior Noah Szilagyi (Highlands Ranch, Colo.) paced the Scots with 20 points and went four-for-four from deep (eight for 10 overall).
- Salve Regina sophomore Jonathan Friberg (No. Attleboro, Mass.) had 19 points, nine rebounds, on a night where he scored from many different spots on the court (nine for 15).
Key Stat of the Game
Salve Regina made one more 3-pointer than the visitors (9-8), and the teams were even in points in the paint (28 apiece). Where the Scots had their greatest margin came in fast break points (28-15). Gordon also totaled seven blocked shots; three for the Seahawks.
Gordon led by 14 in the first half, but Salve Regina clawed back for a late lead in the period before going into intermission trailing by one (36-35). A 7-0 run for the Seahawks at the start of the second half included baskets by Friberg, Spencer, and a 3-pointer from Mike Palmieri (Bristol, Conn.). Szilagyi answered with one of his four 3-pointers, but the Seahawks maintained the lead for over eight minutes. A 16-2 run for the Scots put Gordon on top by 10 (63-53) with 7:19 left in the game. Salve Regina responded with a 12-4 run including a pair of 3-pointers from Tyler Benjamin (Fitchburg, Mass.). Cameron Collins' (Oakdale, Conn.) layup at 1:57 was the last Seahawk points (73-70) and Gordon finished with a layup from David Massillon (Lynn, Mass.) and four free throws from Jake Haar.
- Tonight's game featured Mental Health Awareness, sponsored by Hope Happens Here.
- The Scots made 19 of 22 free throws.
- Salve Regina was whistled for 22 fouls while Gordon was called for nine infractions.
- Gordon had the edge in rebounding, 38-36.
- Spencer (4), Benjamin (3), and Palmieri (2) combined for the nine Seahawk 3-pointers.
- Massillon led all players with 11 rebounds.
Salve Regina (7-10, 3-5 CCC) travels to Boston, Mass., to face the Leopards of Wentworth Institute of Technology on Saturday (3 p.m.). Gordon (16-1, 8-0 CCC) will be in Springfield, Mass., to play against the Golden Bears of Western New England University (3 p.m.).