Summary: The Salve Regina University football team faces Montclair State University.
Match-up: Salve Regina Seahawks (1-0) versus the Montclair State Red Hawks (0-0).
Game date, time and site: Sat., Sep. 9, 2017; 12 p.m. @ Toppa Field (Newport, R.I.)
Live Stats: http://bit.ly/2gHfZ4n
Ticket Info: $10 for adults (18 and over), $5 for seniors and under 18, free for students with a valid student ID (must be presented each time entering the stadium.
Follow the Seahawks on Twitter @SalveAthletics
Tailgate Information: ALL tailgating will take place in designated parking areas. Tailgating will be allowed 90 minutes prior to the start of the game on a first-come, first-served basis and will close one hour after the conclusion of the game. For more tailgating information click HERE
Game Program: Download Saturday's program HERE
• THE SERIES: The teams meet for the fifth time overall and first time in two years. Montclair took three of the first four contests from 2011-14, including a 7-6 win in Middletown, R.I., most recently in 2014. That game was the third lowest scoring game in Salve Regina football history.
• LAST TIME OUT FOR SALVE REGINA: [Sep. 2, 2017] Sophomore Charlie Connell (Oradell, N.J.) intercepted the first and last passes by Worcester State University quarterback Noah Brum (Honnolulu, Hawaii) while returning the first for a pick six, as the Seahawks defeated the Lancers, 35-28.
• KEY PLAYER TO WATCH FOR SALVE REGINA: RB James Dawson (Oradell, N.J.) - rushed a career-high 32 times (10 more time than previous career best) for 116 yards and one touchdown last week versus Worcester State.
• LAST TIME OUT FOR MONTCLAIR STATE: [Nov. 12, 2016] The Red Hawks dropped their season finale, falling to Kean University 20-10 at Alumni Stadium. Senior running back John Distefano rushed for 208 yards and a touchdown for the Red Hawks, who finished the year at 4-6 overall, 3-6 in the NJAC. MSU was done in by five turnovers which led to 17 points by the Cougars (6-4, 5-4 NJAC), who picked up their second straight win over Montclair winning back-to-back contests in the season for just the second time in 42 all-time meetings.
• KEY PLAYERS TO WATCH FOR MONTCLAIR STATE: Montclair State returns a trio of all-conference performers from its 2016 squad, including senior defensive lineman Vincent Cordasco, senior offensive lineman Kevin Merkle, and senior linebacker Joshua Betts.
• MATCHUP TO WATCH: The Seahawks defense allowed the Lancers to gain 405 yards, over 100 more yards than their 2016 per game average (292.2). The Red Hawks averaged 251.9 yards per game in 2016. If the Seahawks hope to survive playing a bend but don't break style of defense, they will have to rely on taking the ball away from the opposing offense.
• WHAT'S AT STAKE: The Seahawks have only lost two home games in September since 2010. Most recently falling 7-6 to the Red Hawks in 2014 and previously to Endicott on September 25, 2010 by a 29-28 final. The Seahawks went 33-9 overall while playing at Gaudet Field in Middletown, R.I. since 2009 and will look to carry that same home field advantage in the return to Toppa Field where the Salve Regina football program started. The program held a 42-30 record over 16 seasons (1993-2008) at Toppa Field. The Red Hawks alternated wins and losses last season before dropping their final three games in a row. They have also gone 1-4 in their last five season openers.
- Seniors Nico Aronson (Wayne, N.J.), Connor Russo (Franklin Lakes, N.J.), and Tommy Seaver (Rocky Hill, Conn.) will serve as captains for the 2017 season.
- Kevin Gilmartin enters his fifth season as the head coach.
2017 Pre-season Coaches' Poll:
|1||Western New Eng.||34 (5 first place votes)|
|3||Endicott||26 (1 first place vote)|