SEAHAWK BASEBALL RESULTS
Eastern Conn. St. 9, Salve Regina 5
Brother Michael Reynolds Field
Thursday, March 30, 2017
NEWPORT, R.I. - Eastern Connecticut State University baseball (8-3) scored five runs with two outs in the top of the ninth to snatch a 9-5 victory from Salve Regina University (11-3) in non-league action at Reynolds Field on Thursday afternoon.
The Seahawks, ranked No. 26 nationally in the American Baseball Coaches Association (ABCA) poll released on Tuesday, had led 4-0 after three innings before the Warriors tied the score in the top of the seventh. In the bottom of the frame, three successive singles after one out - Zack Smith (New Canaan, Conn.), Dylan Ketch (Clinton, Conn.), and Colton Eremian (Boca Raton, Fla.) produced a go-ahead run for the Seahawks.
In the top of the ninth, Zach Dionne (Tolland, Conn.), the sixth Seahawk pitcher of the game, walked the first batter he faced before striking out the next two. A wild pitch moved the tying run into scoring position and the Seahawks elected to intentionally walk Alex Zachary (Enfield, Conn.) - for the second time in the latter innings - and face third baseman Alex Parkos (Meriden, Conn.). Parkos tied the score at 5-5 with a single to right field.
An ensuing error plated two more runs before D.J. Scavone (Auburn, Mass.) singled in the fourth run of the frame; the final Warrior run crossed the plate on a wild pitch.
Series and Streaks
The Warriors won the first three meetings in the series which began with an NCAA regional matchup at Harwichport, Mass., in 2001. After the teams split the last four meetings, today's victory puts Eastern Connecticut State up 6-2 in the all-time series.
Three Seahawk Stars of the Game
- Salve Regina sophomore starting pitcher Will Ginsberg (Sharon, Mass.) blanked the visitors over the first five frames while striking out eight Warriors.
- Salve Regina junior catcher Christian Vargas (Melbourne, Fla.) had two hits in three at bats including an RBI single in the third. He also scored a run in the second.
- Salve Regina sophomore third baseman Colton Eremian (Boca Raton, Fla.) delivered a go-ahead RBI single in the seventh.
After starter Will Ginsburg departed with five innings of shutout ball and eight strikeouts, the Warriors chipped away against six Seahawk relievers. Sophomore Alexander White (West Hartford, Conn.) hit a three-run homer to left in the sixth inning.
- Starter Will Ginsberg (Sharon, Mass.) faced 19 batters and allowed just two hits.
- Salve Regina first baseman Alex Perry (No. Attleboro, Mass.) was hit by pitch three times, and stole second base three times.
- Warriors outhit the Seahawks, 8-6.
- Both teams committed two errors.
- ECSU infielder Christian Budzik (Cromwell, Conn.) reached base four times with two hits and two walks.
Salve Regina (11-3) returns to conference action on Sunday, April 2 when it hosts Roger Williams, 1 p.m., in a doubleheader.
Eastern Conn. St. (8-3) hosts Plymouth State University in Little East action on Sunday, 12 p.m.