SEAHAWK WOMEN'S LACROSSE RESULTS
Salve Regina 23, Wentworth 5
Middletown, R.I. – Gaudet Field
Saturday, March 25, 2017
Seven different players scored for the Salve Regina University women's lacrosse team as they defeated Wentworth 23-5 Saturday in the first Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) game for each team.
Series and Streaks
This was the fifth meeting between the two teams. The Seahawks remain unbeaten versus the Leopards, holding a 5-0 advantage in the all-time series.
Three Stars of the Game
1 – Salve Regina freshman Maddie Villareal (Portsmouth, R.I.) - scored six goals and added an assist.
2 – Salve Regina sophomore Lindsey Smith (North Attleboro, Mass.) - scored three goals and had four assists.
3 – Salve Regina freshman Stefanie Salisbury (Cranston, R.I.) - had four goals.
Key Stat of the Game
The Seahawks outshot the Leopards 38-10 while holding a 20-9 advantage in draw controls.
Villareal got the scoring started for the Seahawks 1:07 into the game, but it stayed one nothing for some time. The Leopards had a free position shot to try and tie the game but could not convert. Then Kiley Anderson (East Greenwich, R.I.) scored for the Seahawks with 23:53 left in the first half. The goal sparked a 7-0 run for Salve Regina. Wentworth's Kaitlin Darveau (South China, Maine) stopped the bleeding after the Seahawks made it 8-0, but they scored seven straight again to put the game out of reach even though it was the first half. The Leopards were never closer than 13 goals the remainder of the game.
- Bridget Newbury (Bridgewater, Mass.) made three saves to improve to 4-1 in net for the Seahawks.
- Liz Gunning (Fort Solonga, N.Y.) made 10 saves in the loss for the Leopards.
- The Seahawks 23 goals is the second highest single-game total in program history. The 34 total points (23g, 11a) sets a new single-game high for the program.
- The Seahawks have outscored their opponents 45-13 in the last two games.
- Villareal now ranks second in the CCC for goals scored (25) and has scored at least three goals in every game this season.
Salve Regina (4-1, 1-0 CCC) – Tuesday, March 28 vs Simmons, 7 p.m.
Wentworth (2-4, 0-1 CCC) – Tuesday, March 28 vs Nichols, 4 p.m.