Match-up: The Salve Regina Seahawks (3-5, 01- CCC) versus the University of New England Nor'easters (5-3, 0-1 CCC)
Game date, time and site: Saturday, March 29, 2014; 12 p.m. @ Gaudet Field
Video/Audio: http://bit.ly/Mq62GZ (Salve Regina women's lacrosse on Ustream.tv; Andrew Pezzelli and Murphy McCann provide the call)
Live Stats: http://bit.ly/18PHC4C
Series edge: The University of New England holds a 9-7 all time series lead over the Seahawks.
Last Seahawk win in the series: Salve Regina defeated the Nor'easters 22-19 in Middletown, R.I. on March 11, 2011.
Last Nor'easter win in the series: The University of New England defeated the Seahawks 21-10 in Biddeford, Maine on April 20, 2013.
Follow the Seahawks on Twitter @SRUsportsinfo
SALVE REGINA VS. UNIVERSITY OF NEW ENGLAND
- Salve Regina and the University of New England have faced each other 16 times before with the Nor'easters holding a slight 9-7 advantage in the all time series.
- The Nor'easters have won the previous two meetings between teams, most recently a 21-10 win over Salve Regina last season in Biddeford.
- Salve Regina defeated the Nor'easters on March 11, 2011 22-19 for its last win in the series.
- Salve Regina is 2-5 all time on March 29.
- The last time the Seahawks played on this date, Salve Regina defeated Rhode Island College, 15-13, in 2012.
- The first time the Seahawks played on this date they defeated Western New England 13-5 in 1998.
- Seniors Grace Kelly and Karley Malenczak will serve as the captains of the 2014 women's lacrosse team.
- Salve Regina gets back on the road for the second time this season after its away contest with Curry was postponed to April 3.
- The Seahawks will travel to in-state and conference rival, Roger Williams on Tuesday, April 1 for a 7 p.m. opening draw.
- Following the game against the Hawks, the Seahawk will make up their game against Curry in Milton, Mass.
- Salve Regina fell to Gordon 14-12 in a game of runs versus the Fighting Scots.
- Senior Grace Kelly led the Seahawks with five points (4g, 1a) while junior Gina Tortorici notched a hat trick and added an assist for SRU.
- Senior Josephine O'Reilly made 10 saves in the net for the Seahawks.
- The Nor'easters come into today's contest off a 14-9 CCC loss to Endicott last Thursday.
- UNE's senior Hannan Tavella scored a game-high five goals to become the Nor'easters' career leader in points.
- Macki Hill, Katie Cawley, Rachel Schwaner and Jocelyn Davee each scored for the Nor'easters.
- The Seahawks hosted three games over spring break and finished the week 2-1.
- Salve Regina opened the week with a 20-12 win over UMass Dartmouth after outscoring the Corsairs 12-3 in the second half.
- The Seahawks welcomed Husson to Gaudet Field last Wednesday and won the first meeting between the two teams, 13-3 behind six points (3g, 3a) from senior Grace Kelly.
- Salve Regina wrapped up with spring break with Eastern Connecticut State on Saturday and dropped a heart-breaking over time loss to the Warriors. Kelly scored with just over a minute to play in regulation to tie the game, but the Warriors outscored the Seahawks 2-1 in the overtime frame.
- Following today's contest, the Seahawks host their final two games of their seven game homestand to open the year.
- Salve Regina returns four of its 20+ point scorers of a year ago.
- Leading the returners is junior Gina Tortorici who finished second on the team last year with 37 points (26g, 11a).
- Senior Grace Kelly was tied for third on the team with 24 points (20g, 4a), followed by junior Sarah Woods (22 pts • 19g, 3a) and sophomore Abigail Tepper (20 pts • 13g, 7a).
- Kelly leads the team with 28 points on the season.
- Kelly and Woods are tied for 21 goals this season to lead the Seahawks.
- Junior Gina Tortorici leads the team with 10 assists on the year.
- Hannan Tavella leads the Nor'easters with 42 points on the year, including a team-best 36 goals this season.
- Gina Newsome leads UNE with 10 assists this year.
- Salve Regina ranks seventh in the 2014 Commonwealth Coast Conference preseason poll of the head coaches.
- The Seahawks finished the year 3-11 last year with a 1-7 mark in the CCC.
- Salve Regina is 15-22 all time at Gaudet Field.
- Salve Regina head coach Jennifer Foster enters her eighth season at the helm of the Seahawks.
- Foster has led the team to a 43-77 all time record at Salve Regina.
- Junior Gina Tortorici is fifth all-time at Salve Regina with 91 draw controls in her career.
- Senior Grace Kelly ranks eighth all time at SRU with 31 assists and seventh in caused turnovers (39) coming so far in her senior.
- Senior Josephine O'Reilly is third all time at Salve Regina with 375 saves in her career. Brook Bowley (2003-06) holds Salve Regina's all time record with 668 saves in her career.