SEAHAWK WOMEN'S ICE HOCKEY RESULTS
Salve Regina 2, Nichols 2
St. George's School - Middletown, R.I.
Saturday, January 13, 2018
Series and Streaks
The Seahawks own an 18-1-2 record in the all-time series.
Three Stars of the Game
- Salve Regina junior Jennifer O'Connell (Marstons Mills, Mass.) made a game-high 42 saves.
- Nichols junior Cassandra Goyette (Norton, Mass.) made 31 saves in net.
- Salve Regina junior Taylor Chisholm (Discovery Bay, Calif.) scored a power-play goal in the third period.
Key Stat of the Game
Salve Regina successfully killed all four of its penalties.
Taylor Chisholm scored 10 seconds into a powerplay in the third period to give the Seahawks a 2-1 lead. It was the fourth straight powerplay goal allowed for the Bison, after allowing three powerplay goals the night previous to the University of New England. Later, senior Emily Barden (Chatham, N.Y.) scored for the Bison at 10:34 of the third period to knot the game 2-2. The Seahawks had three different chances on the powerplay in the final six minutes of the game, but this time the Bison penalty-killing unit rose to the challenge and denied the Seahawks all three times, including a penalty that spanned into overtime. In overtime, both goaltenders refused to yield and the game ended in a tie for the first time for each squad this season.
- Both meetings between the Seahawks and Bison went to overtime this season. The Bison took a 3-2 decision in overtime back on December 6, 2017.
- Gabrielle Majenski (Hanson, Mass.) scored her first goal of the season in the first period to give the Seahawks a 1-0 lead.
- Kirsten Sullivan (Arlington, Mass.) scored in the second to tie the game 1-1, when she collected a lose puck in the low slot and tucked it past O'Connell.
- The Bison owned a 44-33 advantage in shots.
- The Bison were 0-for-4 on the powerplay while the Seahawks went 1-for-4 with the man advantage.
Salve Regina (2-14-1) travels to UMass Boston on Friday, Jan. 19 for a 4 p.m. New England Hockey Conference (NEHC) contest. Nichols (7-7-1) is at Johnson & Wales on Thursday, Jan. 25 at 5 p.m.