SEAHAWK WOMEN'S BASKETBALL RESULTS
Roger Williams 70, Salve Regina 60
Rodgers Rec. Ctr. - Newport, R.I.
Tuesday, January 9, 2018
NEWPORT, R.I. - Seniors Anna Walther (Northampton, Mass.) and Mariah Nicholas (Acushnet, Mass.) led Roger Williams University women's basketball with 25 and 17 points, respectively, as the visiting Hawks defeated Salve Regina University, 70-60, in Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) action at the Rodgers Recreation Center. The Seahawks (6-6, 3-3 CCC) had three players in double figures, led by junior Kerri Beland (Attleboro, Mass.) with 17 points.
Series and Streaks
Salve Regina leads the all-time series, 48-19, but Roger Williams has won the last five meetings and 11 of the last 14. The Seahawks had won their first four home games of the season and had taken a seven-game win streak at the Rodgers Recreation Center into a meeting with Rensselaer on Dec. 30; since then Salve Regina has lost three of its last four at home.
Three Stars of the Game
- Roger Williams senior Anna Walther (Northampton, Mass.) led all players with 25 points including five of six 3-pointers (7-of-12 overall). She also finished with eight rebounds.
- Roger Williams senior Mariah Nicholas (Acushnet, Mass.) contributed 17 points on eight of 19 from the floor while adding eight rebounds.
- Salve Regina junior Kerri Beland (Attleboro, Mass.) led the Seahawks with 17 points on seven of 16 from the floor and three of four from the free-throw line.
Key Stat of the Game
Salve Regina went 0-for-4 from 3-point range in the first half and had zero free-throw attempts. The Hawks led by two (30-28) at the break despite being outshot (10-of-25, 40.0%; 14-of-34, 41.2%) from the floor, and committing more turnovers (10 to seven), on the advantage of four 3-pointers and six free throws.
After Liv Pierce (Tyngsboro, Mass.) scored the opening bucket of the second half to force the fifth and final tie of the game (30-30), Roger Williams went on a 20-9 run over 10:39. Walther had two treys while sophomore Sam Leone (Ashland, Mass.) also connected from long distance. Salve Regina's Mary Eden (So. Kingstown, Mass.) hit the only 3-pointer of the game for the Seahawks.
- Teagan Dunn (Burlington, Conn.) led all players with 10 rebounds.
- Liv Pierce (Tyngsboro, Mass.) had 12 points and a team-high eight rebounds.
- Torie Scorpio (Cranston, R.I.) had 13 points with five driving layups and three free throws.
- Roger Williams committed three personal fouls in the first half and 13 in the second half.
Salve Regina (6-6, 3-3 CCC) hits the road for the first time since Dec. 5, after six straight home games (3-3), to play at Nichols College on Thursday (5:30 p.m.). Roger Williams (9-3, 3-2 CCC), which began a stretch of six games in 12 days, hosts Eastern Nazarene College on Thursday.