SEAHAWK MEN'S SOCCER RESULTS
Salve Regina 6, MCLA 0
Toppa Field - Newport, R.I.
Monday, October 8, 2018
NEWPORT, R.I. - Senior Conor Woods (Otissville, N.Y.) scored three times in the first 18 minutes of the match to help give the Salve Regina University men's soccer team a 6-0 victory over visiting Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts on Senior Day at Toppa Field.
Series and Streaks
Salve Regina takes a 2-1 lead in the all-time series. All three games between the two teams have been shutouts for the victor.
Salve Regina honored its nine seniors before the game. Nathaniel Crocker, Jimmy Dalton, Jordan Elster, John Julian, Evan Laske, Richie Leister, Matthew O'Donnell, Michael Payan, and Conor Woods comprise the Seahawks Class of 2019 and were joined by family and friends on the field prior to the contest for a special ceremony.
Three Stars of the Game
- Salve Regina senior Conor Woods scored three times in the first half to double his scoring output this season. He now has six goals in 2018.
- Salve Regina junior Donald Igo (Needham, Mass.) assisted on Woods' second and third goals then netted one for himself in the 51st minute.
- MCLA freshman Holvin Nieves (Leominster, Mass.) was under constant pressure from the Seahawks offense and made 17 saves in his first collegiate start.
In the fourth minute Conor Woods followed up the rebound from his own shot at point-blank range with a header to give the Seahawks a 1-0 lead. Then in the seventh Igo lobbed a pass to Woods who sneaked a shot from 10 yards out past Nieves for his second of the game and a 2-0 Seahawks lead.
Key Stat of the Game
Salve Regina outshot the Trailblazers 29-6 and 23-4 in shots on goal.
- Michael Payan (Fort Lee, N.J.) got the start in net for the Seahawks. He made three saves and improves to 11-0-1 between the pipes.
- Payan was relieved by Francesco Boncaldo (Holbrook, Mass.) in the second half who made one save in his first collegiate appearance.
- Junior Evan MacDonald (Candia, N.H.) factored into all three second-half goals for the Seahawks. He assisted on scores from Igo and Owen Stevenson (Middletown, Conn.) and tallied one for himself in the 57th
Salve Regina (11-0-2; 3-0-1 CCC) travels to the Roger Williams on Wednesday, October 10, at 7 p.m., in a Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) matchup. MCLA (0-11-1) travels to face Fitchburg State this Saturday at 1:30 p.m.