Hollenshade's heroics in OT raises Salve Regina's record to 11-4

Hollenshade scored four goals including the final one in a 10-8 CCC quarterfinal win for the Seahawks against the visiting Leopards.
Hollenshade scored four goals including the final one in a 10-8 CCC quarterfinal win for the Seahawks against the visiting Leopards.

BOSTON, Mass. – Senior Chad Hollenshade's (Lutherville, Md.) fourth goal of the game, coming 1:30 into overtime lifted the Salve Regina University men's lacrosse team to a 13-12 win over Wentworth Institute of Technology in Commonwealth Coast Conference action played on a rainy Sweeney Field.

With the win the Seahawks improve to 11-4 overall and 4-4 in CCC play while the Leopards see their three-game win streak come to an end, falling to 6-7 (3-4).

Hollenshade's heroics came after the Leopards had tied the game on a junior Ryan Coakley (Flemington, N.J.) goal with 2:29 left in regulation.

A fast-paced first quarter saw the two teams combine for 12 goals and the first quarter ended tied at 6-all. The Leopards got on the board first when sophomore Nick Parent (Windham, N.H.) scored 59 seconds into the contest. However, the lead would not last long as senior Curtis McKeon (West Haven, Conn.) tied the game just seven seconds later after he won the ensuing draw and went in for the goal. The Seahawks took a 2-1 lead on a senior Dan Parks (Nesconset, N.Y.) goal 90 seconds later.

Wentworth responded by scoring the next four goals as sophomore Alec Paradis (Pelham, N.H.) scored twice and junior Michael Cushera (Waltham, Mass.) and senior Chris Kipp (Scarborough, Maine) added a goal apiece. Sophomore Sharp Jones (Scituate, Mass.) brought the Seahawks with 5-3, and on the ensuing faceoff, McKeon won the draw and fed sophomore James Fee (Massapequa, N.Y.) for a goal just seven seconds later.

Kipp scored with 4:04 left to make it a 6-4 game before Hollenshade and Jones scored 10 seconds apart to tie the game at 6-all.

The two teams traded the first four goals of the second quarter as senior Steve Glover (Marstons Mills, Mass.) and Parent scored for the Leopards while McKeon and Fee scored for the Seahawks. Fee's goal, which came with 5:12 left in the half tied the game at 8-all before Jones scored 33 seconds later to give Salve Regina a 9-8 edge at the break. Both of those goals were assisted by freshman Nick LoCicero (Lynbrook, N.Y.).

Hollenshade increased the Salve Regina lead to 10-8 with 13:48 left in the third quarter before junior Dillon Lynch (Southwick, Mass.) scored from Cushera midway through the quarter to make it a one-goal game. With 49 seconds left in the quarter, Coakley fed Glover to even the score at 10-all.

Cushera tallied a man-up goal 35 seconds into the fourth quarter to give the Black & Gold an 11-10 lead, however Hollenshade and Jones would score seven seconds apart to give Salve Regina a 12-11 lead with 9:32 left.

Glover would feed Coakley in front just after 90 seconds of penalties on Salve Regina would expire to even the score at 12-all. After a Seahawk shot was blocked, the Leopards would clear the ball and call a time out. Cushera's shot with 37 seconds left hit the post and after gaining possession off the rebound, Wentworth turned it over.

Salve Regina would clear the ball with 12 seconds left, however any chance of winning the game in regulation disappeared on a turnover just before the horn sounded and for the second season in a row the game would be headed to overtime.

In overtime, McKeon would win the faceoff and bring it into the offensive zone. A Parks shot went wide and the Seahawks retained possession. Sophomore Tim Parlato (Needham, Mass.) caused a turnover, giving the hosts the ball back, however the Leopards would turn the ball over shortly afterwards, giving Salve Regina possession in the offensive end.

Hollenshade started behind the net and worked his way out along the left side. From about 25 feet out he rifled a shot that beat senior Jared Proulx (Nashua, N.H.) to the bottom right side.

In addition to Hollenshade's four goals, Jones also scored four goals, while Fee added two and LoCicero had five assists. McKeon had two goals and an assist, however his did his best work at the X, winning 19-of-27 faceoffs and scooping up 24 ground balls. Freshman Andrew Watkins (Natick, Mass.) made 14 saves, scooped up eight ground balls, and caused three turnovers. The Seahawks held a 50-46 advantage in shots and a 55-44 edge in ground balls.

Parent, Glover, Paradis, Cushera, and Kipp each scored two goals and Cushera added two assists while Glover and Kipp had an assist apiece. Coakley finished with a goal and four assists. Proulx finished with 17 saves and seven ground balls while sophomore James Caldwell (New Milford, Conn.) caused five turnovers and picked up six ground balls. Parlato and freshman Sean Farmer (Billerica, Mass.) each picked up six ground balls as well.

Salve Regina is idle until April 23 when the Seahawks host Mitchell. Wentworth travels to Kean on Saturday.