SEAHAWK MEN'S ICE HOCKEY RESULTS
Salve Regina 2, Nichols 0
Portsmouth, Rhode Island - Portsmouth Abbey
Sunday, February 11, 2018
The No. 6 Salve Regina University men's ice hockey team, having already wrapped up the top seed in the playoffs, closed out the regular season with a 2-0 shutout of Nichols College in Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) action.
Series and Streaks
The Bison own a 20-14-4 record in the all-time series however the Seahawks have gone 3-2-1 in the last six meetings.
Three Stars of the Game
- Salve Regina junior Blake Wojtala (Trenton, Mich.) made 26 saves to collect his second consecutive shutout of the Bison.
- Salve Regina freshman Timothy Sweeney (Hanover, Mass.) tipped in a shot at 16:41 of the third period to break a scoreless time.
- Nichols senior Colin Brennan (Chester, N.J.) made 38 saves while allowing one goal.
The game served as Senior Day for the Seahawks' four seniors. Adam Augusta (Windham, N.H.), Pat Thompson, Joseph Yeadon (Burlington, Mass.), and Brandon Yee (Franklin, Mass.) comprise the Seahawks class of 2018 and were all joined by family on the ice pre-game for a special ceremony.
Key Stat of the Game
The Seahawks held the Bison to 0-for-4 on the powerplay.
The game was a battle of goaltenders and it felt like a crazy bounce of the puck was what it would take for either team to finally break through. A big hit from Colin Clapton (Canton, Mass.) sparked the Seahawks and brought energy onto the ice. After the following faceoff, Pat Thompson (Hellertown, Pa.) attempted an off-angle shot from below the dots on the right side and Brennan was able to stop it, however he could not control the rebound. In the chaos, Sweeney was able to puck the puck in for the game-winning tally.
- Blake Wojtala recorded his second shutout of the season, adding to his program-record eight career shutouts.
- The Seahawks outshot the Bison 40-26, 21-11 in the pivotal third period.
- The Seahawks continue to add to their record for most wins in a single season.
Salve Regina (19-4-2, 14-2-2 CCC) as the #1 seed will host #8 Western New England on Saturday, February 24 in the quarterfinals of the CCC tournament.
Nichols (14-8-3, 9-6-3 CCC) as the #5 seed will travel to face #4 Curry on Saturday, February 24 in the quarterfinals of the CCC tournament.