SEAHAWK MEN'S BASKETBALL RESULTS
Nichols 93, Salve Regina 67
Rodgers Rec. Ctr. - Newport, R.I.
Thursday, February 8, 2018
NEWPORT, R.I. - Defending conference champion and first place Nichols College men's basketball defeated Salve Regina University, 93-64, to sweep the season series in Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) action at the Rodgers Recreation Center. Junior Marcos Echevarria (Lynn, Mass.) led all players with 20 points, 13 coming in the second half.
Series and Streaks
Nichols leads the all-time series, 27-25, and has won the last 11 meetings. The Bison won both meetings this season by 26-point margins.
Three Stars of the Game
- Nichols junior Marcos Echevarria (Lynn, Mass.) led all players with 20 points, 13 coming in the second half.
- Nichols sophomore Tyler Dion (Barre, Mass.) made six of eight 3-pointers and finished with 18 points, 12 in the second half.
- Salve Regina sophomore Gabe Granberry (Dorchester, Mass.) scored a dozen points on five of eight from the floor, and grabbed eight rebounds.
Key Stat of the Game
Nichols had eight more field goals and seven more 3-pointers than Salve Regina (35-27 and 13-6).
The game featured seven lead changes and two ties in the first seven minutes. At the 13:00 mark of the first half, Nichols freshman Matt Morrow (Leicester, Mass.) hit a jumper for an 11-10 Bison advantage. Nichols outscored Salve Regina, 34-19, over a 12-minute stretch to close out the opening period.
- Nichols shot 55.6 percent from the floor (35-63) while Salve Regina made 41.5 percent of its shots (27-65).
- Kevin Mannix (Barrington, R.I.) led all players with nine rebounds; Salve Regina outrebounded the visitors, 43-29, including 20 offensive caroms.
- The Seahawks outscored the Bison, 20-10, on second-chance points.
- Nichols, with 13 3-pointers (39 points), did more damage inside the paint (42 points).
- Rodney Morton (Malden, Mass.) led the Seahawks with 15 points.
- Thor Brochu (No. Kingstown, R.I.) came off the bench to score seven points and grab seven rebounds for the Seahawks.
- Matt Morrow, coming off the bench for the Bison, finished seven-for-seven from the floor and scored 15 points.
- DeAnte Bruton (New London, Conn.) scored 16 points, dished out four assists, and had five steals.
- Andrew Bronstein (Needham, Mass.) had another nine assists and now ranks second in the conference in total (114) and average (5.2 assists per game).
Salve Regina (9-13, 6-9 CCC) plays the Nor'easters of the University of New England in Biddeford, Maine on Saturday. Nichols (19-3, 13-2 CCC) stays atop the conference standings before making its final road trip of the regular season at Western New England University on Saturday.