SEAHAWK MEN'S BASKETBALL RESULTS
Roger Williams 74, Salve Regina 65
Rodgers Rec. Ctr. - Newport, R.I.
Tuesday, January 9, 2018
NEWPORT, R.I. - Senior Conor O'Brien (Sharon, Mass.) led all players with 30 points as Roger Williams University men's basketball (10-2, 4-1 CCC) defeated Salve Regina University, 74-65, in Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) play at the Rodgers Recreation Center on Tuesday night. The Seahawks (6-6, 3-3 CCC) were led by senior Rodney Morton (Malden, Mass.) who scored 18 points with seven field goals including four 3-pointers.
Series and Streaks
The Seahawks lead the all-time series, 38-31, but the Hawks have won three straight and five of the last seven meetings. Roger Williams also has a three-game win streak on the season as it maintains its first-place tie in the league with Nichols College and Endicott College.
Three Stars of the Game
- Roger Williams senior Conor O'Brien (Sharon, Mass.) scored a game-high 30 points on eight of 13 from the floor, 2-of-4 from 3-pointers, and 10-of-11 from the charity stripe. He also had a game-high nine rebounds.
- Salve Regina senior Rodney Morton (Malden, Mass.) netted 18 points on seven of 19 from the floor and four of nine 3-pointers.
- Roger Williams junior Austin Coene (Tyngsboro, Mass.) had 14 points, six assists, and three steals.
Key Stat of the Game
Roger Williams missed one more free throw than Salve Regina, eight versus seven, but the Hawks made 18-of-26 from the charity stripe (69.2%) compared to the Seahawks 6-of-13 (46.2%).
Isaiah Bowman's (Roxbury, Mass.) layup with 1:03 remaining became the final Seahawk points and drew Salve Regina within three of Roger Williams, 68-65. Conor O'Brien hit a layup for the game's last field goal, and then Nick Marini (Loudonville, N.Y.) blocked a layup attempt by Gabe Granberry (Dorchester, Mass.) in the final minute, and Roger Williams finished with four free throws.
- Jaylen Jennings (Norwalk, Conn.) scored 10 points for the Hawks.
- Seahawk freshman Cameron Collins (Oakdale, Conn.) and Kevin Kelly (Valhalla, N.Y.) both reached double-digits in points scored with 11 and 10, respectively.
- Three Seahawks had four rebounds apiece - Morton, Kelly, and Kevin Mannix (Barrington, R.I.).
- Marini also had five assists for Roger Williams.
Salve Regina (6-7, 3-3 CCC) hits the road to play at Nichols College on Thursday (7:30 p.m.). Roger Williams (10-2, 4-1 CCC), which began a stretch of six games in 12 days, hosts Eastern Nazarene College on Thursday.