SEAHAWK MEN'S BASKETBALL RESULTS
Salve Regina 64, Mount Ida 54
Rodgers Rec. Ctr. - Newport, R.I.
Tuesday, November 21, 2017
NEWPORT, R.I. - Salve Regina University senior guard Rodney Morton (Malden, Mass.) scored 15 of his game-high 26 points in the second half to lead the Seahawks to their first victory of 2017-18, a 64-54 decision over Mount Ida College in non-league men's basketball action at the Rodgers Recreation Center. It was the first-ever meeting between the two schools in men's basketball, and both are now 1-2 overall.
Series and Streaks
In the first ever meeting between the Seahawks and Mustangs in men's basketball, Salve Regina wins by 10 points. The Seahawks win their home opener and improve to 1-2 overall. The Mustangs fall to 1-2 overall. Salve Regina wins its eighth consecutive home opener; the last time head coach Sean Foster saw his team lose its first game at the Rodgers Recreation Center was Nov. 16, 2009, when Albertus Magnus def. Salve Regina, 73-72.
Three Stars of the Game
- Salve Regina senior Rodney Morton (Malden, Mass.) had his third straight game with 20 or more points. He made eight of 21 from the floor including four of eight treys, and sank six of seven free throws. Morton also had three steals. Last year he averaged 21.1 points per game at home.
- Mount Ida senior Joey DeFillippi (Bristol, R.I.) led the Mustangs with 21 points including a game-high five 3-pointers.
- Salve Regina sophomore Gabe Granberry (Dorchester, Mass.) scored nine points and grabbed seven rebounds in 23 minutes.
Key Stat of the Game
The Seahawks outscored the visitors from the free-throw line, 13-1. Salve Regina finished 13-for-23 from the stripe (56.3 percent) while Mount Ida made just one of five attempts.
An Isaiah Bowman (Roxbury, Mass.) 3-pointer at 7:45 in the first half started an 11-2 and 15-4 runs for the Seahawks and stretched a three-point lead to double-digits. Salve Regina led by at least 10 points the rest of the way until DeFillippi hit his final 3-pointer with 35 seconds left to make the margin nine points, 63-54.
- Salve Regina had the edge on the glass, 44-33, with nine rebounds apiece from Kevin Mannix (Barrington, R.I.) and Kevin Kelly (Valhalla, N.Y.).
- Mount Ida senior Errald Jordine (Stamford, Conn.) led the Mustangs with nine rebounds.
- The Seahawks had 13 assists with three apiece from Kevin Kelly and Andrew Bronstein (Needham, Mass.).
- Kelly and Morton both finished with three steals.
- Jacob Sartain (West Palm Beach, Fla.) and DeFillippi had four assists apiece for Mount Ida.
- Kevin Vanderhorst (Lawrence, Mass.) and John Oliver (No. Babylon, N.Y.) both had 3-point baskets for the Mustangs; Vanderhorst had his team's only trey of the first half.
"It was great to see a 40-minute effort from the guys. Our senior leader (Morton) took over when we needed him." - Salve Regina head coach Sean Foster
Salve Regina (1-2) plays the second of three consecutive home games on Sunday, November 26, when the Rams of Suffolk University visit for a 1 p.m. tip off. Mount Ida (1-2) plays at Lesley on Monday, November 27, with a 7 p.m. tip off.